18 February 2018

Christ in culture or Christ in culture?

I remember standing by the front doors after Sunday service when a woman walked up to me in a rather stern manner, grabbed hold of my arm and said, "Don't get political when you are preaching. Just don't."

What did I say to her? Well, what could I say to her? I had no idea what she was talking about, to be completely honest about it. After a few moments of a marginally less confrontational discussion I discovered that she was referring to a community issue involving the public school system, and I was completely unaware of what was going on. In the days that followed I asked around and, as it turns out, very few people knew much about the conflict, as it had something to do with mostly closed-door discussions involving the teacher union and upcoming contracts (and who knows what else).

But, this particular woman – a retired teacher – had heard my morning message in the context of the world she had dragged in with her that particular Sunday morning. Truth be told, we all do this, and even the best of us get tripped up in our worship and prayer when we cannot shake off the storms that so often whip around us. My point is the perspective that was revealed in her comment: Don't get political in the work of the church has been something that I have been warned against (mostly in more constructive ways than this instance) my entire ministry career. I understand this concept, though I do not believe there is such a thing as an apolitical Christianity. Yet, I am increasingly disturbed when the flag gets draped over the cross and our allegiance to Christ made subservient to our nation.

At this point comes the "full disclosure" for this issue: I am a Constitutional conservative as well as a biblical conservative (though I am not what would be considered a fundamentalist). I am an evangelical pastor presently working in a socially mixed (and somewhat evangelical) denomination. I work hard to understand the matters of faith and freedom so as to be responsible to both. Yet, I also work diligently to keep my political and social ideology held captive to the kingship of Christ Jesus. My ministry work becomes "political" only in those times when social issues decide to cross into the realm of faith and morality – which is increasingly so. But it must be said that my goal is not to support a party, candidate, legislation, or position. My aim is to be a faithful interpreter of Scripture.

Having said that, I wish to make a brief comment on the present nature of our public discourse, especially that which is coming from the church. Yes, don't be political has been the resounding message, in part as backlash to the Moral Majority and Religious Right movements of years past. This is understandable, but now the pendulum is swinging too far the other way. Many contemporary voices within the church have warned against being political, frowning upon evangelical voices engaging in public policy. But as I struggle to make sense of all that's being said and done around me right now, it has become evident: Don't become political ... unless your politics agrees with me.

There is a movement within American Christianity that is moving along these lines, increasing their level of political rhetoric with the implied tag-along of if you don't agree with these political positions you are probably not seriously following Christ.

Our culture is presently working through the emotional aftermath of a mass murder at a high school. There are many who are (rightfully) disturbed by this event, and the recent string of such violence over the past few years. It is unfortunate that so many rush to advocate their position rather than to grieve and pause and pray before speaking. Far too many politicians and pundits race to be the first one to call for an advancement of their position, and the church doesn't need to contribute to that noise. If the gospel is as emotionally-reactive as the world, then what good is it?

The voices that have clamored Don't get political have reminded us that the answer doesn't come from improved legislation or policy. On this we can find agreement. But in the wake of this tragedy even voices from within the church are jumping on the law-making bandwagon because, "thoughts and prayers are not enough without policy and action," as one on-liner has said. Of course, there are many secular voices who have already seized this opportunity to mock the effectiveness of prayer (their heyday was Sutherland Springs). Does the church need to contribute to this?

When I speak about the atrocity of abortion, with more than 60 million lives violently ripped out of their mother's wombs in this country alone since 1973, I am told that it is not my place to become political (as if this were a political problem and not a moral issue). And many in the church remain silent. When gun deaths reach into the thousands in our society (a number that has decreased in the last number of years), we must take up the cause loudly.

When I speak about the millions of lives that are caught up in human slavery and trafficking, the issue is typically mulled over for a moment and then shrugged off (sometimes, even a joke about prostitution is thrown in). And many in the church remain silent. When the cultural crowd gets loud about DACA then it is a Christian 'duty' to picket prayer breakfasts and label dissenters as hate-filled individuals who lack the love of Jesus in their hearts.

What is missing from all of it is an actual discussion, and actual facts. This is a sad place to be for the church, which is supposed to be the primary place for pursuing truth and life and justice and righteousness in this world. Those who for so long have preached Don't get political have done so on the basis of government not being the forum for such societal change. In a blatant and pathetic irony, those same voices are now unsettled by the thought what needs to change is the human heart. In other words, the gospel is suddenly in need of governmental support if it is to make a difference in our nation. And, what is much worse, it seems to be acceptable from this position to caricature and name-call those with whom one disagrees.

Social issues are social issues, and politics is a terrible place to be the church. I disagree with men and women whom I otherwise admire in the faith on a number of such issues. But it has always been my position to hold together in the unity of Christ more than being divided by national discord. Unfortunately, the emotionally-driven nature of many of the current issues has changed the tone of many in the American church (and not all of them leftist or mainstream – there are many 'conservative evangelicals' who have found their way along this path as well).

I spent many years overly engaged in the political rhetoric of our national culture. It made me angry and miserable most of the time, and there were voices telling me to back away from it. They were right, and the same needs to be said to many today who have suddenly found themselves on the receiving end of political right-and-left and whatever else. It is not for us to be disengaged from public discourse, but to remember that we are to be centered on Christ and tenacious for truth, no matter where it might lead us. The challenges will always be in front of us to live as though Christ were King of this world ... because he most certainly is.

Though I wish I could have a conversation about these matters with many of my friends, I so often refrain for the damage it could do to our relationship and the Spirit of Christ that presently binds us together. That, in and of itself, is a sad sign of our present situation. I do not pray against any other believer, nor do I regard any person (in the faith or otherwise) as an enemy. But I do continually and repeatedly ask for God to show all things in the Light so that all may see and know the truth. I hope that this can invade the church before it is too late.

2 comments:

BJT said...

I too wish heartily for those conversations but almost always bite my tongue out of fear of what it will do to the relationship. I'm perfectly willing to hear a multitude of dissenting opinions (I have to put with them all the time anyway!) but I've been on the receiving end of the "if you don't share my policy position you must not be a very good Christian" maneuver enough times that I tend to just leave these topics alone in conversations with close friends.

I thought I was doing the right thing for the relationship, but chronic self-censorship isn't good either. At some point the other person is responsible for his own reaction.

Michael Thompson said...

Well said, BJT.