27 July 2009

rest

It has happened again. Another friend who tends a blog of some sort has decided to step back for a season and be quiet. This occurs somewhat frequently among certain folks, and I am typically disappointed that I won't hear anything for a while (primarily because it seems like only the people that I admire take blogging breaks) . . . but then I remember the value of getting away from the electrical current we think we need to connect with the world.

A couple of times in my life I have taken a deliberate break from blogging. When I decided to end the life of my original blog I did not intend starting another. So a number of months went by without much thought given to the idea. And a while back (I do not recall the exact date) I stepped away from this blog for a couple of weeks away. Currently, I have discovered a more appropriate rhythm for blogging, which does not call for me to share my thoughts about everything at every moment during the day.

There are reasons for sabbaths, sabbaticals, rests, etc. . . And the same reasons why bloggers take time away are the same reasons why Christians need to take time away from anything in life - to rid those obstacles between ourselves and God. Mark 1:35 mentions Jesus' activity of getting away to a solitary place in order to pray and reflect and commune with his Father. I am continued to be surprised when I see the amount of leaders, teachers, and laypeople (and when I catch myself) thinking that we can go full-tilt into 24/7 Christianized activity without taking the time to reflect and pray. Often this is only accomplished by fasting from certain practices.

Psalm 46:10 includes God's words, "Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." The two go together, especially within a theology of restoration - if it is God we are knowing through our stillness, then it will be God whom we exalt in our lives. The inverse seems to be the case, however anecdotal the evidence might appear, that when our hearts fail to be quiet before him then our lives exalt ourselves.

Rather than seeing this happen, I know of some who take a sabbath from their activities - no matter how holy and important they perceive themselves to be (or are told from others they are). So, Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

1 comment:

hipperken said...

Ah yes. SERENITY NOW!!!!!